Hey Fam!
I'm a couple days behind on my D+C reading but I should knock out 22
today! Yeah, let me know about the silver. I'm going to buy a nice
suit before I come home. If I remember right Elder Ricks will get home
my last week. Kinda crazy but pretty cool.
Chase and Levi are home.... Wow! Chase doesn't really look any
different in those pictures. I think no one will recognize me when I
get home. It will be sweet to see Levi too. I can't wait to hang out
with those guys. So my fav comp of my mission, Elder Jeffery is going
to be in Tucson for a week during Christmas. I'll be hanging out with
him that week. I'm excited. Obviously not Christmas day :).
Had a way spiritual day yesterday. Just lot of spiritual lessons. I
came home exhuasted and with a headache. We taught a guy named Timmy
Howard. He is way interested and totally felt the spirit. I'm pretty
sure he will get baptized. He has a couple of things he wants to
overcome we need to help him get through. Gave a priesthood blessing
last night. Just a lot of good things. Have 2 baptisms this week. 2
the next week. One my last night of my mission. A couple more
hopefully we can get to happen before I leave, if not they will be
baptized a week or two after I finish up.
As for Dad picking me up. When is Dad coming in? I'll have someone go
pick him up from the airport. I just need a time. I'm pretty sure I
can get us a car for a couple of days too. We'll probably just need to
pay for gas. I'll find us a place to stay too. No problems! I know
plenty of families who would love to help out. I'll call some people
up and make some arrangements. That will be great. I love you guys so
much ttyl and Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Norton1
November 9
Hey Fam!
Another good week. Preston and Naythan were baptized this last week.
Preston had a ton of friends at his baptism. That was cool. We haven't
been able to catch Timmy lately. He's pretty hard to catch. So that's
kind of been a bummer. Two people we've been teaching a while accepted
baptismal dates. That was pretty sweet. We have two baptisms this
week. Dusty and Jaimi. We're working with a lot of PM families. It's
sweet becuase you get baptisms and re-activations out of them.
So a guy we were working with a little bit passed away this last week.
That was kind of a shocker. He was the most willing to listen in his
family. Hopefully it will provide some oppertunities for the rest of
the family. Another man came up to church to me this week accusing me
of putting my foot in his friend's door when he tried to close it on
us and said I told his friend he wasn't a Christian. It was crazy. I
wasn't even there. I tried to handle it the best I could. He told me I
was a liar and said his friend had a stronger belief in Christ then I
did. It was so random and crazy. People just take things and blow it
out of proportion. It was some other missionaries in the area who
talked to his friend and it didn't happen the way this member said it
did. I guess that's why you need a testimony in this church. If you're
there for the people you won't last long lol. It's all good though.
Things are going great. Still working hard. Planning on finishing
strong. That's cool about Joseph. I can't wait to hang out with him.
Yeah, I saw Bish Ricks the other night. So I'll probably see his son
this week. That will be cool.
I don't really know what to talk about... I guess like I feel like I
can just some everything up in a couple of weeks.
I love you guys. Know that you're in my prayers. Take care and I'll
see you all in a couple weeks
ELder Norton1
November 18, LAST LETTER
Family and Mother,
Well, I have just 6 days until I am home. I have a lot of emotions
going through me at this time. Feelings of excitement. Wonder.
Nervousness. It's starting to hit me. I'm not going to be a missionary
forever. It's felt like that and at the same time it feels like it's
only been a couple of days since I walked down a terminal with Dad
waving good bye to all of you. It seems like just a couple of days ago
I was sitting waiting for the plane in silence while me and Dad just
sat, not knowing what to say to each other. It seems just like a
couple of days ago I was scared out of my mind, sitting on a plane
reading the notes you wrote for me, talking to a Jewish man about what
I would be doing for the next two years. It seems like just a couple
of days ago I was in the MTC, facing feelings of fear, doubt, worry.
Wondering if I was good enough, prepared enough, worthy enough, ready
enough. It seems like a couple of days ago I met Pres and Sis Joyce
and felt very relieved to know there was someone who was going to love
me it seemed just like my mom and dad would. It seems like a couple of
days ago I saw my beautiful mother and my brother Chris as he was
preparing to leave.
Next thing you know, I'm here in a library with a million memories
that have been flying through my head today and in the down hours this
week. It's been a very interesting week. I'm going with Elder Ricks on
exchanges tonight. I went to Salt Lake this Tuesday. It was very
emotional day. I had a couple more special and sacred experiences in
the temple. Ones that really got me to think about my Savior and
understand his atonement a little bit more. It was so beautiful to be
there and think of saints who did such beautiful work
We taught a lady this week. It was one of the worst jobs I have ever
done at teaching. I was by myself with a young man about to leave on a
mission. He wasn't able to say much. I wouldn't have either before my
mission. The woman had deep concerns. I didn't do such a great job. I
realized that night that I still have a lot of weaknesses. A month or
two ago, when Elder Robbins of the Seventy was training the leaders in
the mission, he asked President Olsen to select one of his very best
teachers in the mission to come up and to teach. President called out
my name. It was an honor. It probably built up my pride a little bit
though, so I think the Lord needed to let me know that I'm not the
best. He is. That I still need the Savior. That I need to keep
continuing to learn and grow. That I need the Holy Ghost as my
constant companion. The Lord has humbled me several times these last
few weeks. I'm grateful for these experiences. It helps me remember
who's work it really is.
I'm excited to see friends and family. I know what I'll be speaking
about. The Spirit has already let me know, in a very convincing way,
and not only once I might add. It has been something that has come
over and over again to me this last month and last few weeks. I've had
some very nice comments from the stake leaders here in the area. They
appreciate the work that has happened since I've been here. It has
been very good too. It is a ZL area. Things have gone really well the
whole time I've been here.
I'm pleased with how my mission has gone. I feel the Lord is pleased
with me. I don't have any regrets. There are obviously times and
situations I would love to have back to do again or do better, but I
feel I've done my best, despite my weaknesses. I've learned so much.
More then anyone else here I feel, and I don't mean other
missionaries. I mean in the two years I've served, with all the people
who I've taught and served, I have benefited the most from it.
Teaching others taught me so much. Helping others helped me so much.
I'm grateful for the gospel. I'm grateful for my living Savior, Jesus
Christ. I'm grateful for my eternal family. I'm grateful for parents
who put up for me 18 years in there home, and another year and half
just 45 minutes away. ;). My hope is that I don't turn from what I
learned. My hope is that I'll continue to progress. I understand that
it is hard to continue to progress as fast, but I don't have to go
backwards. President Joyce always said the only thing we lose when we
go home is our tag. We don't have to lose the mantle of the
missionary. Yes I was set apart, but the spirit has come through
personal santification. I can continue to do that and continue to have
the Spirit of the Lord. That is what I hope for.
Next week I'll be stepping off a plane into the beautiful Arizona
desert. I've missed the thunderstorms, the cactus, the sun. I've
missed some of the things I took for granted before my mission. I've
missed my friends. I've missed my beautiful family. I've also began to
miss my Savior and my Father in Heaven. When I say that I mean I miss
being in there physical presence. One day I'll see them again as well.
Invite my close friends to come to the airport if they want. Bring
Grandma! I love you guys so much. Hope you notice me and accept me
even though I haven't become perfect yet ;). I've become a little
better. I love you all so much. Take care and you'll be in my prayers.
Hurrah for Israel!!!!!!
Elder Norton1
No comments:
Post a Comment