Monday, January 3, 2011

Elder Norton 2--November

November 1

Dear family!

It was wonderful to hear about.....Chase? Gosh I want to call him Elder Merrell. Levi will be home tomorrow that's crazy too! I won't lie it was rough this week. We had a Halloween social out at a members house on their ranch and all the families were there and they were having dinner and games and hay rides. Obviously I've been around families and Christmas and stuff like that my whole mission but it really hit me this time. I can truly say that I "missed" you guys and wished I was with you! That probably sounds bad. I always wish I was with you but I guess I have to admit I was trunky. Thinking about Chase being home with his family and Levi coming home in a couple days and then Drew following. Yeah not a good thing to let your mind dwell on. We ended up going on a hay ride and they took us out in a field under the stars. It was a beautiful night. I just said some prayers to Heavenly Father and he comforted me. I actually came up with a really good talk from that hayride experience. I'll probably share it sometime in my lifetime when I get home so I'll tell you later. I'm just grateful we have a Savior we can always rely on even when it is something as small as being trunky and missing your family. Where's the pain in that? Well he suffered that just for me so I could be comforted when it hit and I am truly grateful to Him for that sacrifice.

Besides that it was a really good week. We've been slacking on our lessons each week. Haven't been teaching as many. J and A will be getting married on Saturday. I'm stoked. Then she'll be getting baptized on the 20th. Roger is going to baptize his son Drake the 20th also. It's going to be a wonderful day! We took A's cigarettes Saturday. She gave them to us and said she's done. Weird feeling to be carrying those around but we threw them away pretty quickly :) In a couple weeks I'll be going down to Louisville for a training again. Our area will be shut down for a week again that stinks but I love going back to Louisville.

I led my first District Meeting this week. It went well. At least I felt it did. We're focusing on finding the elect this transfer. It's hard because we find so many people who are willing to listen. So many people who are wonderful people who love us and will do anything for us, except act that is, and that's what's so hard. We're trying to find those who are willing to act, who are prepared now to receive the gospel. We spend a lot of time with those who we have built relationships with but are not willing to act upon our message. I don't want to say it's a waste of time, but we're working on spending more time trying to find the elect then just filling up our time with visiting our "friends." Idk this probably means nothing to you guys anyway but that's what we're working on and we're going to find them!

Well not much new to report. I'm grateful for the love and support you all have given me. I'm excited for the opportunity to serve and strengthen my testimony. The Lord just keeps blessing me day by day. It's funny how many times through 1st and 2nd Nephi all the way to Mosiah how many times it says to keep the commandments. Simply keep the commandments and you shall prosper! The Lord has given us every tool we need to keep the commandments, and he promises us endless joy and happiness in this life if we do. When we obey, we become free. What a blessing. I hope you all have a great week. I look forward to talking with you soon. I love you with all my heart. Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Norton#2

November 8

Dear Family,

We had a good week. J and A were married it was short but really spiritual. First time I think I've ever been to a wedding. That I can remember at least? Anyway that was the highlight. They've kicked smoking and are good to go! She's excited about the 20th! She gives out pass along cards to everyone she sees. She's memorized our number and has written them on all of her cards so just in case some one is really interested they have our number! She gave her mother and step father a copy of The Book of Mormon and is just stoked about sharing what she knows is true. Big news this week we have another Louisville training all week. This afternoon I'm driving up to Evansville and picking up a couple missionaries and then heading to the Ville and then Elder Hart will be with another missionary in Owensboro all week. It's going to be fun. Round 2 in Louisville here we come. Probably won't be as great as my birthday was but I'll get to see a lot of my buddies again. Elder Eliot will be there this time! I miss him like crazy! Elder Ralston will be there too so it will be good to see them again. Elder Ralston goes home January 18th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Where has the time gone! He was only out 9 months when he got me! He's a great missionary and I know he's going to flip when he goes home but his family will be dang excited to see him. He helped me become the missionary I am. He's the man!

I'm glad you were able to make contact with A. She asked if you had a facebook and so I told her to look you up. Tell dad happy b-day for me. I'm a goofus! I remembered last week after I left the Library. Sorry I'm a bum dad! That was totally sweet about Joseph! I showed the missionaries that are emailing with me and they were excited! And kirby heyborne? That's sick! Joseph is the man! Yeah send the dvd's or whatever you want! I'll watch it. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think I've grown a little apostate from drew haha jk You should definitely send me out some Christmas music though! Also, if joseph has some time, my jericho road cd I had a long time ago that someone stepped on and broke, he has that on his ipod. Is there anyway he could burn that cd true north onto a blank one and send it to me? Just getting sick of the old tunes I have!

So yeah the pics of Chase and Levi hit me pretty hard. DANG IT! I miss those guys. I'm glad I still have so long to serve, but seeing my best friends........Can't explain it. Levi told me about a dream he had. That picture was almost fulfillment of the dream, I just needed to be there. So thinking of that was hard. I'm the missing link haha No big though. To be honest I didn't really get what the hands thing was about. I figured they were showing that they didn't have any rings on their fingers. haha Idk though. It also looked like a "what do we do know" pose but who knows. If it was an inside joke I failed! Oh well. Hope all is well with those guys. Drew is almost home. He just sent me a tie and left a retarded letter with it. I won't tell you what he told me but he's trying to trunk me out I think. Maybe not but that's the way I took it. There's a lot of exciting things happening in the mission and so I have plenty of things to keep me focused. Don't worry about me losing focus. It is hard not to think about my brothers back home and being back into regular life, but that will come soon enough. I love what I'm doing and wouldn't trade it for the world!

Well I hope you all have a wonderful week. I'll be back in my city tonight! I love Louisville! Idk why because it's a crazy crime city but it just has a piece of me. Anyway I'll let you all get going. I love you so much and thank you for the support! Give grandma a big hug for me and tell her I lover her!

Elder Norton #2

November 15

Dear Family!

Wow how the time flies when you're having fun! I thought the last time I went to Louisville it went fast. 4 days of training gone! Well I guess spiritually it wasn't as good as last training. That's completely my fault for that but I really enjoyed the things we learned. It was a lot of review, just presented a little differently. There was a lot of new faces as well. We played basketball every morning at the stake center with a few of the missionaries and so it felt good to be running up and down the court again shooting some shots. It's been awhile since I've played. I was worried I'd have trouble with my knee but all was well. I was shooting like I was back in the Ft. Thomas game haha jk It made me think of that though. I'm still ok at it. Can't jump as high but I"ll get that back when I go home.

A was pretty nervous the whole week because we were gone. She had one slip up where she lit a cigarette her friend gave her at work, she puffed it once, didn't even inhale and threw it away. Immediately she said she felt so sick and felt terrible for what she had done. She cried most of the night. J gave her a pretty hard time also for doing it. She's doing a lot better now though. We've reassured her that the Savior loves her and that we have trials and slip ups so that we can learn and grow, and not do those things again. We're still going to have her interview on friday and the baptism saturday. As long as she doesn't fully smoke a cigarette she will be fine. We just went over and gave her a blessing to be able to resist temptation. She has a lot of "friends" that try to give her smokes while she's at work behind j's back. She tells them to leave her alone but it's hard sometimes for her. Especially when she's stressed. She doing better though. We're praying for her a lot and she is very excited to be baptized.

We were standing out in the church parking lot yesterday before church started and a little car pulled up with 3 boys in it. We noticed Parker Drake but not the other ones. It was his real mom that finally gave him a ride and took him to church. She rolled down her window and introduced herself to us. I think that broke the ice for her. We're still planning on having the baptism this saturday with a's on the same day. Roger is going to baptize Drake so that is going to be exciting. We'll let you know how it goes. Other then that not much has happened this week. I had a migraine wednesday night. The other elders went out and tracted while I stayed and slept. One of the missionaries stayed behind with me. Besides that it was a really good week. Elder Eliot and I sat by each other the whole training. We were pretty excited to see each other! Elder Ralston was there also so it was a good reunion.

I'm just striving to be the best I can be. I fall short a lot. I get down on myself a lot. I'm so grateful to have the Savior. He's always there when I need him. I don't know where I'd be without Him. We had the ward primary program this sunday. There was a little girl who was smiling and singing louder then everyone. It made me think of Olivia so much. I miss her a lot! She looked a lot like her too, just a few years younger. She's going to be all grown up when I get home. I can't wait to give her a big hug! Idk the primary program just really made me think of how much you learn to appreciate the little things. I know the little kids were just saying there short parts with things like "Jesus loves me" or "I am a child of God" and things like that but they were so powerful and profound coming from those little children. I felt the spirit really strong and it strengthened my testimony of the love Heavenly Father has for us. I hope you guys all have a great week. We're doing the best we can at finding people to teach. There's a lot of closed doors, but a lot of doors ready to be opened. Just have to find them :) I love and pray for you guys everyday. Give Drew an extra big hug for me when you see him. Hurrah for Israel!

Love, Elder Norton #2

November 22

Dear family,

I would have to say that I have many mixed emotions right now as my older brother stated in his last letter. I'm sure mine aren't as intense as his are, but there's a lot of ups and downs to being a missionary. I am happy to report that Parker Drake was baptized yesterday after church. Roger his father was able to perform the ordinance. What a blessing! He is growing in the gospel and his family is with him. That's the greatest blessing and gift you could ever receive in this life besides seeing it in your own family. To be able to witness a family torn by the world, and within weeks of applying the Gospel of Jesus Christ, see them healed and bound together. Roger has a son who is 20 that wants to be baptized. It will take some work with Jake (his son) because he's going to school in eastern kentucky, but he will be home all this week and will be back during the Christmas break and so we'll work on making that happen. Roger's extended family's hearts are being softened as well. I feel like a lot of souls will be turned by Roger's conversion. He is a leader to his family and so I think this will have a huge impact on all of them for the better. That was an emotional experience for Elder Hart and I and the Piper family. Unfortunately, with the up came a down.......

Last week J went in for another interview with the bishop. It didn't go as well as he hoped it would and went home a little frustrated. Well the frustration rubbed off on A and she asked to wait another week for her baptism. I have been worrying about this all week because I know the devil is just rubbing his hands together waiting for the opportunity to destroy all of this. Well every appointment we had was canceled and rescheduled for the next day for one reason or another until the last time they finally just said call us Sunday and we'll reschedule. They didn't come to church and haven't answered our calls. I feel like I've been too casual with them. I know they have their agency. I am very saddened for the way they are choosing to use it at this point. All we can really do is pray. I know the Lord will provide a way for it to work out. I was frustrated when Parker Drake wasn't able to be baptized with his family a few weeks ago, but am so grateful now that the Lord let him wait a little longer so that Roger could perform it. The Lord does things for a "wise purpose" and so as His servant I will be obedient to what he asks of me and accept what happens. I know that when the time is right for A to be baptized, it will happen. I'm striving to do my best to accept His will.

There's been several people that we've found through tracting this last week. Haven't had too many appointments yet with them to share particular experiences but I feel the Lord is leading us to the people who are prepared. I think I've taught the least amount of lessons ever these last few weeks then I ever have in my whole mission. I'm trying to be as diligent as I can. The work is moving forward so I can't complain.

Well give Drew an extra big hug for me! What an exciting time to come home. Right for thanksgiving. I think he'll adjust well to the regular life. It will be weird to think that he's just Drew now. I've been thinking a lot lately about how everything just seems like a dream. Working in California. Playing bball for EA. Levi and Chase leaving on their missions. Graduating. HS Bball. Going on a crazy trip with papoe to wyoming. First days of school. It all seems like a dream. As I read his letter talking about all his memories, it just made me grateful for the time I have now to serve. I almost feel a weight on my shoulders now. It seems like Drew's letters were always spiritual and mature. I feel like I just send letters home complaining and blabbing about everything that goes on. I always have experiences that I want to share, but when I sit down at the computer, I either can't remember what I wanted to share or I don't feel like I'm in the right mindset to share it. I'm sorry. I will try to do better with my letters. I hope you all have a great week. Tell Kendall congrats on his call. How did he respond to it? I'm stoked for him! He'll do great work their for the Lord! Take care family! I love you!

Elder Norton #2






November 29

Hello Family,

Well it has been another great week. A lot of ups and downs but those will come. Parker Drake was confirmed yesterday. It was a great experience. I felt the spirit very strong. This last week the assistants came down and spent some time with us. One of them, Elder Davis, goes home next week. He's been a huge example to me the last few months of the mish and so it'll be hard to see him go home. We went and taught J and A. They're doing a lot better! She really appreciated your letters. Especially the one about the temple. We're planning to have her baptism this next Sunday before transfers. We're praying all will go well.

Elder Hart and I have been together the last 4 and a half months. The assistants gave a few hints that something could be happening. It's nerve wrecking because it really could be either one of us that could go. I guess I should look on the positive side and say we both have a chance of staying also but I don't think that will happen. I don't know. I guess we'll find out next week. I'm trying to do the best I can though at keeping the district focused as well as Elder Hart and I at going out and working hard until the end. Sometimes mission rumors and other mission culture stuff gets in the way of the work. I know it will all work out the way the Lord wants it to though and I'm willing to do whatever he requires of me.

So A showed me the pics of Drew coming home from the airport. That's cool that levi and chase were there. Mike looks a lot different. Almost younger? I don't know maybe it's just because I haven't seen him in awhile. How's he doing? So is Drew adjusting ok? It's hard to imagine him actually staying at home. Where is he going to be living? What are his plans? When is he going back to ea? Where was jobo when you guys picked him up? I didn't see him in any of the pictures? All my siblings look so grown up. Not cool. I don't think I've changed at all in looks.

Well this last week I'll be going on a couple of exchanges. It's a great opportunity to be DL. I love being able to serve. Service always makes us grow and helps us to become stronger. That's going to be the motto for the rest of my mission. SERVE like a champion today! Take it one day at a time. Do everything you can to further the Lord's Kingdom here on earth. Transfer wise it seems like I have no time left so it's starting to make me anxious. In just a couple of transfers a few more of my buddies will go home. Then I'm next. There's a lot of work to do. I love you guys so much. Don't worry about not writing me this week it's no big deal. The district is going bowling today because some of the missionaries are going home. It's sad to see them leave. So we're all going to enjoy preperation day together. Hope you all have a great week. I love you all!

Elder Norton#2

No comments:

Post a Comment