Dear family,
I have witnessed a miracle! The Lord is good to me! So Saturday we had planned to go have the bap interview with a and last minute j called us and told us she needed a little more time. I was pretty sad because I knew she was ready and that I wasn't going to be able to baptize her. Now don't get me wrong it's not about me, but what a great way to end serving in an area. So Sunday morning the two of them show up, bright and happy as ever. Probably had one of the most spiritual testimony meetings I've ever been in. Well the whole time I felt prompted to share my testimony. It was weird because I could discern that it wasn't just because I was leaving and it was my last chance. It was different. I just felt that someone, needed me to. Now again, I'm not saying it's because I bore my testimony that this miracle happened, but it brought great comfort to me and I don't want to even know how it would have played out if I had not. Anyway, back to the story. I got up and shared my testimony. I really felt like it wasn't all that great. No fancy words nothing special, but I felt good after I sat down. Right after I got up Sister Piper stood up and bore her testimony for the first time in a pretty dang long time. First I've ever heard from her publicly. She talked about how she has had a dream from her grandmother to be sealed to her family in the temple her whole life. She talked about how a few years ago she just gave up on it. She thought it would never happen, but she never stopped praying. Then she shared how one day, "a couple handsome young boys" came and knocked on our door and saved her family. She never thought that this would ever happen. Now her and her family are on their way to the temple! It was so powerful. I was trying hard not to cry. It's hard sometimes. Spirit tears are the best! So after her testimony the meeting closed. Afterward a lot of the members were coming and saying goodbye to me when I noticed A was waving for me to come and talk to her. I could see it in her eyes. She asked if it was too late. IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!! I called the ZL's and they didn't answer and so I called the assistants in Louisville and they were just about to go to church but quickly turned around to come to our rescue. She hadn't been interviewed yet so that's why they needed to come. So they drove 2 and a half hours to come do the interview. Everything went great. I was overwhelmed when I stepped in the water. I was witnessing a miracle right before my eyes. Andrew talked to me a lot about planning to baptize. We didn't expect for it to happen but we planned and prayed for it to and it did. I know nothing is impossible with the Lord. It was such a blessing for me to be able to experience this before I leave. He has blessed me so much then what I deserve. I'm doing my best to repay Him with my service.
So about transfers. Dad is going to have to tell Elder Pearce (jacob I think is his real name I wouldn't know haha) but he and a few other missionaries told me last transfer that I would be a district leader for one and then go zone leader. They were right. It has been a humbling experience to be a district leader. I don't know how much Drew shared about his experiences with it but for the first time in my life I can say that I know what it feels like to receive revelation. Now that probably sounds pretty bad being out a year already. You'd think I would have figured it out by now. From week one, I was stressing like crazy trying to figure out what to do and what to focus on and what to train the missionaries on. How could I know what to do? All I remember doing was just praying and praying and praying. Nothing would ever come. I felt like the hours were just flying away before the district meetings, but, while I would quietly study my scriptures and read from preach my gospel, the Lord would just give it to me, in the very hour that I needed it. I can't explain it. I don't know how to explain it. I just remember feeling so overwhelmed with joy to KNOW what the Lord would have me prepare, and who he would have me ask each week to give assignments too. Every week it worked out perfectly. I would just think of what to do in my mind and from nowhere, there it was and I would know clearly what I needed to do. Sheesh I'm just a stinkin district leader! Imagine how it would be to be the prophet! So that's my excitement on receiving revelation this transfer. I know the Lord will give us what we need when we need it. In the middle of the transfer I just stopped stressing. Some weeks would be closer then other before I made assignments but I never stressed, because I KNEW the Lord would let me know what to do. As long as we do our part, or at least try our best to, He will ALWAYS do his part. I love the Lord with all my heart, I feel he is molding me into who he wants me to become.
So our last teleconference was this saturday. Because of miles and our district being so far apart every other week we have meetings over the phone. Well President Glende was listening in on the other end and said a few words to us. Side note. Roger Piper came with us. I asked him to share his testimony. All I can say is dad needs to come out here with me when he picks me up so he can hear this man's testimony. It is so powerful! So that was great. At the end of the phone call president glende told all the other missionaries to hang up because he needed to speak to me...... dun dun dun!!!!! Yeah I knew I was gone. So he told me I'm going to be serving as a Louisville West Zone Leader. The actual area I'll be in is called Radcliffe I believe. Ft. Knoxx is close. Every weekend we go and teach soldiers their on base. It'll be sweet! Elder Fielding is going to be my new comp. We've known each other throughout the mission. He's from AZ! He was at the Louisville training in november and every morning when we went to play basketball he would always say can't wait to serve with you next transfer. I don't know how he knew but it happened. He's an awesome missionary. I'm stoked to serve with him. It'll be a good experience. If I didn't have the district leader experience I'd probably be terrified but it prepared me for it. I know the Lord will help me through. So i'm not even going to worry. Or at least try not to :).
So mom I want to see these pictures of my card board self and levi and drew. The pics with papoa were cool. Dang it he keeps coming down. I haven't seen papoa in like 3 years. Grandpa Norton wrote me. I really enjoyed his letter. I was a little worried when he told me about his accident but he seemed to be doing ok. Sounds like drew is all back into the swing of things. Hopefully the piano thing will work out. That would be sweet! I'm a little bummed that I never met anyone that knew great grandma webb! Is it possible that I didn't do or go everywhere the Lord needed me to? Idk. It'll always be on my mind! I hope I did what he needed me to.
It snowed this morning. It's starting to get DANG cold! I'll try my best to stay warm. This little az boy isn't used to this bitter cold. I did it last year so I should be able to manage another one. Well, if there is anything else I wanted to write I forgot. If i remember it i'll send you more. I haven't received the dear elder letter yet so i'm assuming I'll get it when I"m in Radcliffe. It's Elder Ralston's last transfer. It's crazy he's about to go home. It seems like I just got out here with him and now he's just about done. I'm grateful to have had such a great missionary as my trainer. So I sent two packages home full of all my junk home. Just put it with the other stuff I've sent home and leave it to collect dust. I don't know if I'm even going to be able to fit all my stuff in my suitcases. I'm going to have to leave stuff in Greenville I guess. That's the way things go as a missionary sometimes. Well I think I"ve talked long enough. I love you family so much! My cup is running over with blessings! Couldn't be happier! It will be hard to say goodbye to little ol greenville but I know the Lord needs me where I'm going next. Just another transfer, just another chapter. Can't wait. Hope you all have a blessed week! I love you all! Hurrah for Israel!
Serve Like a Champion Today!
Elder Norton#2
December 13
Well hello there family
Time is short :) Doesn't mean the letter will be but if it is, sorry about that. Just know that I love you all! So what a week! I don't know where to start. First off, Elder Fielding is the bomb! He grew up in Maui, Hawaii for the first 17 years of his life and then realized that something was missing, he just needed his life to be more fulfilled, so, he moved to Zion! Arizona that is. Don't listen to what the people in Utah say. He lives in Chandler now. He's been out a month longer then I have. We have a lot of things in common. I would say that he's a buffer, taller, more spiritual better looking version of me....... yeah that about sums it up. We have too much fun together. This week has been pretty hectic. The day I got with him we moved areas. The area we cover is Elizabethtown. It was split with a north and south set of elders but they pulled the north elders out and we switched areas with the south elders and so we now cover two. On top of that we cover Ft. Knox, which is probably the coolest thing that has happened to me on the mission so far. So amongst learning the new areas, the new people, the members the gators and all the leadership stuff we have to do, it's been awesome! I'm loving it.
We had some very spiritual lessons this week. I've had some very spiritual experiences this week. Because of lack of time I'll share them later. Maybe next week. It wouldn't do justice if I tried to share a summed up version. Warmth wise I think I'm doing ok. It dumped snow like crazy the last few days. It's FREEZING! I hate it. The pipers gave me some warm stuff before I left. I really appreciated that! I would say warmth wise the only thing I would ask for is a V-neck black long sleeved sweater. Those give you a little extra warmth. Thermals I'm sure would help but I made it just fine last winter without them so don't worry about it. I think I'm like skyler. The last few weeks I was in greenville I was a little scared but stoked because of how much food I was eating. Members were feeding us Utah style and so the food we had at home was just like snack food. Well, I came out gaining nothing so whatev. Elder Fielding's hobby is working out so that makes it fun in the mornings. We get up a little early so we can work out longer. It's fun.
Well, this is a terribly short letter. Sorry for the disappointment mother. I know you probably were expecting longer. I can't wait to talk with you all in a few days. Another phone call come and gone. This is going to be a great Christmas! Can't wait. Things are well in Ky. I'm having the time of my life! I'll try to bring up the Ky thing with Jobo next week in my email to him. We'll see what happens. Take care family. I love you all! Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Norton#2
December 20
Dear family,
I apologize for the slump that I'm in. It has become extremely difficult to stay up to date on my journal and also in writing you detailed letters. I just get to the computer and don't know what to say. So much going on. Don't know where to start. Well, I'll try to sum up some of the experiences I've had the last couple weeks and see if you can get anything from them. So first off, I was able to witness a couple of soldiers be baptized on Ft. Knox. You'll see pictures on my card I'll send. I was able to interview one of them. We use a simple horse trough to do it. I have witnessed baptisms in beautiful stake centers and newly built ward buildings but the spirit that was felt in the humble, small baptismal room that we use was beyond words. As I saw the young soldier come up out of the water, I just could see his glow. I knew he was without sin, he had been made clean. I think the simple things in life are the most profound, are the most important. The son of God, the King of Kings, came down from his throne and was borne in a quite manger, but yet that birth was the most important of the Earth's history. I'm just so grateful for the experiences the Lord has allowed me to have.
The next experience was one last week. We were teaching a soldier who did not believe that he could be forgiven. He has been in war, and has killed people. Men, women, children, that's what they're commanded to do. He was so overwhelmed with guilt, and just felt he could not be forgiven for his experiences. One of the local bishops was teaching with us. He talked a lot about repentance. We talked about the atonement. It was a very spiritual lesson. The most amazing part though was at the end. The bishop challenged him. He promised him the Lord would forgive him. He said, "Do you have the faith to get on your knees, and ask the Lord to forgive you?" It was silent in the room for a couple minutes. The soldier dropped to his knees. We joined him. As he started to pray, I was overwhelmed by the spirit. Again the feelings I truly felt cannot be explained. I can honestly say that I felt Christ's presence in that room. As the soldier plead for forgiveness and closed his prayer, he became silent. At that point all of us were in tears. The Lord forgave him and he knew it. He began the lessons with doubts and excuses of why things couldn't happen and couldn't be done, but once he finished his prayer, his countenance had changed. He began saying I can do this and I want this and it will happen. I witnessed the power of the atonement right before my eyes. You could see that the burden had been lifted. Just another witness from the Lord to me that this is the Savior's work. He loves and cares about each and every one of us. Individually! He knows us by name. Never be afraid to get on your knees and ask. He will answer. I KNOW he will!
We've also had some wonderful lesson just teaching by the spirit. We ask questions for understanding and just listen. The spirit does the rest. It gives us what we need to say. As we do this the people we teach, teach themselves. They know what they need to do. They desire baptism.
So the picture I sent was Vince Mitchell and Chris Bailey. Baptized them in Carrollton. Vince graduated from his Blue Grass Challenge camp this weekend and it just so happens that it was in our area. I was able to see vince's mother and family and president graves again. Chris Bailey was excited to see me also. I was able to go see Vince a couple days before his graduation on Ft. Knox and he was pretty surprised to see me. It was a great reunion. The last time I saw him was in July right after Tiffany's baptism. I didn't think I'd get to see him again on the mish. Crazy how much the Lord cares about us. Last weekend I was able to go to the temple and see T.J. and Kari be sealed as a family to their little boy. Pres Graves and his whole family and the beach family were there. Elder Eliot is now in the Lexington area and received permission to attend so we were able to see each other again. It was a great reunion to see all my Carrollton family. I've seen President Graves more in the last two weeks then I have in the previous 6 months. It's been a great reunion. It was such a blessing to witness that event take place. I'm so grateful for my eternal family.
Well Willie Johnson was baptized yesterday. He's 9 yrs old. He has a 10 year old brother that was going to be baptized also but he backed out last minute. It was great though. We have another family we just recently started working with. They're a PM family. They have an 8 and nine year old son that will be baptized next week. Guess what day? CHRISTMAS!!!! We're so stoked for that one. The kids are amazing. Their gospel knowledge is probably greater then mine. We have some more baptisms lined up for the next few weekends in a row. I'm trying to baptized every week. It's happening so far. Elder Fielding and I just click. We have the same type of crazy off the wall personalities and so we just go out and have fun. We tracted into this man the other day and he just completely went crazy on us. Used probably 5 swear words out of his 6 word sentence (he never says that! haha) We just tried to tell him God bless and merry Christmas and he just said get out of here and go blankety blank yourself or I'm calling the cops. haha Tracting is a lot of fun.
Well I'm having the time of my life. I still have my struggles. They get me down a lot. I know the Lord is with me though. He's helping me through it. I'm grateful to be serving the Lord. This is His church. This is His work. We are instruments in His hands. I have felt that and see it every day. I can't wait to talk with you all Saturday. I love you so much. Take care and have a very merry christmas!
Love,
Elder Norton#2
December 28
Dear Family,
It was a great blessing to be able to talk with you all this weekend. It brought me a lot of joy. Libraries were closed yesterday so today we're emailing. Unfortunately we're off to another area to exchange with some missionaries so I don't have much time. Just know that I love and pray for you every night. I'm so grateful to have the family that I have. For the great example my brothers and sisters are to me. For the wonderful parents who put up with me just long enough to get me out on the mission. The Lord is taking care of me now :) I know the work that I am doing is His work. I know that Christ stands at the head of this church. I love being in the service of the Lord. In 9 short months I'll be sitting at home with all of you. It will be a great day. The mission has changed my life. I hope by my service I can put a dent in the debt I owe to Him. I hope you all have a great week. I'll make sure and write more next week. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Elder Norton#2
No comments:
Post a Comment