Okee-dokee where to start? I LOVE MY MISSION! I can't even explain the joy I feel in my heart! The Lord's work is amazing! What a blessing it is to be a "soldier of Jesus Christ."(2 Tim 2:3) Sort of replying to your little sermon mom :), it doesn't matter what other people think we believe or what they think they know because "The Lord knoweth them that are his." The Lord knows who is right and that's all that matters.
If people are happy with not having answers to the questions of the soul, not having the comfort of knowing their families can be together forever, or being "carried about with every wind of doctrine" then so be it! All we can do is bear testimony of what we KNOW is true, and then live that testimony so others can be blessed by it. Eventually they'll see and feel that they're missing something and they'll come around. I'm trying as a missionary to "...endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory." (2 Tim 2:10)
I love the New Testament! Especially Paul the apostle! He's the man! It's sad that the doctrines of so many churches are based upon only parts of the NT. It amazes me how many people come up to us and yell about how everything we do is a lie because in the book of acts one of the apostles said such and such or in the book of Ephesians they said such and such. They go by the doctrine of a certain book out of the bible and that's it. What a lousy life! I'm so glad to have the knowledge that there is a living prophet on the earth today! I'm pretty jealous as well that you all get to see him in a couple months! Lucky! Don't worry what I'm doing is way better then being able to see the prophet for one day! haha jk....k not really!
Missionary work is awesome! Anyway, I've had some struggles since I've been out worrying about my past and things that could have been or things I didn't do right or things that I would do over if I could.......LET'S STOP RIGHT THERE! That is a HUGE no no! If we want to be successful in anything we have to look to the future, not on what "could have been." Sorry it's taken me so long to realize this but it is true!
On the way to the library we were listening to a cd and one of the songs started out by saying "I've made some mistakes that I regret, It's caused me some pain, hard to forget, but I've left it behind, days gone by." It went on to say "I've turned to the one, with power to heal. I've felt the change, and the healing is real. Now gone from my mind, days gone by." And it ends by saying no need to relive days gone by. It made me think about all the times I sit and wish I could redo things, but the things that have happened in our past are to help us to grow and to learn, and sitting around wishing we could change those things just prevents us from becoming what we have potential to be!
Going back to the scriptures. I read this and it rebuked me :) Philippians 3:13 I love the apostle Paul! He says "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before," and 14 it goes on "I press toward the mark for the prize..." To be successful we can't look back and dwell on the things of the past. They're over, they've happened, and they've happened for a reason.
Heavenly Father knows what we need and he gives us trials and blessing both to help us learn and to grow and to receive those things we need to be successful! There was a sweet article in this months issue of the ensign talking about gratitude. I won't talk a lot about it because I don't want to ruin it for you when you read it but when we throw gratitude in the mix with looking forward with faith our lives will explode with blessings! Heavenly Father is ready and willing to bless us at all times!
He wants us to be successful. If we're diligent in doing the things that the Lord has asked of us, acknowledge that His hand is in all things and that we're where we are because of Him, and then turn to Him in our times of need He will be there always to bless us. ALWAYS! "I can do All things" right momma? Let's do all that we can to win the "prize!"
We're teaching this kid named Chris Bailey. He's 17. Long story short his dad is abusive and doesn't want to raise him anymore so he told him to leave. Luckily a member of our ward has a son who is very good friends with him. The son is less active but the father said he could move in with them under the condition that he goes to church with them every Sunday. Well this kid has not had a very pleasant life so far and the first Sunday he came to church he said he couldn't even describe the love and peace he felt there. We have taught him twice and he really loves learning and wants to do what Heavenly Father wants him to do. We set a baptismal date with him for the 27th of march.
When we were teaching him I told him about my basketball history and how i could have stayed and played but i decided to come out instead and that it has been hard for me to overcome. He looked down for a few moments and then looked me in the eyes and said "I can't thank you enough for the sacrifice you made! If you had decided to stay and play you and I would not be sitting in this room right now." It wasn't anything long or elegant, but it hit me hard. I know that there's people out here that are waiting to be taught by me, I know that this is what Heavenly Father wants me to be doing, but when Chris said that to me the seriousness of it really hit me. If I had chosen to wait to come on a mission, Chris Bailey and I would have never met. I would have never felt the Spirit testify to me of the truthfulness of this gospel through his words! I am so grateful that I made the right decision to come out and serve the Lord, because there's nothing in this world that I could be doing better!
I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true and living church on the earth today! I know that Jesus Christ is at the head of this church, and that he directs it through a living prophet, a tool in the Lord's hand, President Thomas S. Monson. He truly is a man called of God! I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and that through Him we can be heirs to all that our Heavenly Father has! I know that we as a family will be together forever, because of the saving ordinances that are performed in the temples, the sacred houses of our Father in Heaven. I want EVERYONE in Kentucky to know that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored on the earth today! Joseph Smith is a prophet and he truly did see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ! The Book of Mormon is proof! I know it is the word of God and it is everything Joseph Smith says it is!
Anyone who takes the time to sincerely read and ponder and pray about it will grow closer to their Heavenly Father and will gain a closer relationship with their Savior Jesus Christ. I have, and I know all of you can! As President Erying stated, (this was a misquote by Elder Norton, author unknown) "I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed! The dye has been cast, I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ! I won't look back, let up, slow down or be still...I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ! I must go until He comes, give until I drop, preach all I know and work until He stops me! And when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner is clear!"
I hope my banner is clear as well! When the Savior comes, I too hope that he will have no problem recognizing me, and that is my goal! I am eternally gratefull for the love and support from my wonderfull family! What a blessing it is to see the Lord's work move forward! I love you all and pray for you daily! Let's go out and let everyone know that the gospel has been restored! Hurrah for Israel!
The Brother of Joseph!
No comments:
Post a Comment