Monday, October 1, 2012

AUGUST 2012

AUGUST 7

Hello POPPETS!!
 
I don't know really where to start. Life is good. My toe is still pretty messed up. Yucky... I'm gaining weight slowly but surely. I don't work out much becuase of my foot. It doesn't hurt but I can't run so yeah. I watch everyone play ball (basketball) and rugby, and football and soccer... All I can do is play tennis, which most people don't want to play that.
 
Huntsville is great. I was just slapped with the humble stick this past week. A returned missionary living up here in the valley told my companions and I... "The only 2 things that can keep you from having success and baptisms is yourself and/or your companions." AAGGGHHH, it's hard to here but it is so true. We are really working hard up here but there is a ton of room for improvement.
 
We have 2 progressing friends that we are teaching. They should be getting baptized on the 18th of this month. I'm so FETCHING happy!! HA, I probably shouldn't say that as a missionary. We are teaching a few more people. I love everyone we are teaching. I really am blessed to be serving in this mission! I saw Pres Olson in Church the other Sunday. He moved into the area we are serving in. That was cool to talk with him for a bit.
 
So I hope all is well back in the AZ heat. The weather up here is awesome! Everyone is always complaining about the heat... haha, gosh I'm so lucky.
 
Oh yeah, I'm singing in the Missionary Musical Fireside at the Brigham City Tabernacle this Sunday. I'll have my companion take a video of it. I have a small solo and then I'm singing in a quartet and also with the Choir. It's going to be sweet.
 
If I had anything to say that might be considered inspirational I guess it would be... Just have faith. Faith is power. Faith leads to doing. With faith in Christ we know that everything is going to be okay in the end. And as we build our foundation of prayer, scripture study (especially the Book of Mormon) and going to Church, our faith will increase and so will our success, no matter what it may be.
 
I love this Gospel and the Book of Mormon. I've learned so much and I owe everything I have to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I love you all and will talk to you soon!
 
Hurrah For Israel
 
Elder Norton3
 
p.s. I'll be sending some stuff home in a package. Some is for some of you, the rest of the things are things that I'd like you to hold on to for me. Maybe just tape the box up after you open it. 
 
AUGUST 14
 
Ello you land lubbers!

This past week has been pretty dang good. Every week is good... even when it's bad! HAha. Let's see, where to start. First I'll just say that the Musical Fireside was way sweet! I was able to have to Solos. I'm so lucky! Anyway, so last week on Thursday Elder Samia and I went on splits with a spanish missionary named Elder Long. He's from Hawaii. While we were on splits here in Huntsville, mine and Elder Samia's comp (Elder Poaha-Pali) went to Ogden in the Spanish area. He loved it. (a few weeks ago I was down in there twice speaking spanish. It was awesome) ANYWAY, so while on splits Samia, Long, and I took the day and tracted the heck out of it. It was really sweet! We found some people to teach and found some people to lend some service to which is sometimes the best missionary service there is. When people slam doors in our face it makes me sad for them. There was this house we knocked on and this little boy answered the door. He was probably about 4 and he told his name was Dawson. He was such a nice little kid. He yelled to his mom that there were people at the door for her. As she was coming down the stairs she scolded Dawson pretty good and said "You never open this door for anyone!" She then quickly acknowledged our presence and told us "If I wanted to be a Mormon, I would already be one!" Bam, door to our faces! ha

Being a missionary in Utah you get told this a lot. Just ask Drew. Everyone already "knows" about the church and already has met with missionaries. Ha, well... they have never met with me.

The mother who slammed the door in our face reminds me of myself sometimes. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a disciple of Jesus Christ, do I shut the door on my Savior when He so willingly has His arms extended to me. Every time I disobey Him or forget about Him during the week, I'm shutting the spiritual door between Him and I. Luckily for me Christ is always waiting on the other side of that door and is waiting for me to let Him in. Will I do all I can to let Him into my life? Luckily for that mother who closed the door on us, was only closing the door to missionaries, because she will have the chance again to except Jesus Christ in her life. Now please do not think I am comparing myself to the Savior, because I'm not and frankly that would be blasphemous! hah, But I know with all my heart that the message we share as missionaries is Jesus Christ's Doctrine. It's not the Doctrine of the Mormons or the "Mormon" Prophets, it is the true doctrine of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer.

Sorry for ranting... I know I do that a lot.

I went on a 3 hour exchange with one of the AP's! He's a stud. He's Elder Mocke from South Africa. Him and I taught a girl named Mimi who is from Mainland China. She has been living in the US for about 4 years now. She had recently been coming to a YSA ward with a friend named Mitch. He invited her to meet with us and she accepted. We had dinner at Mitch's Parents House. After dinner, Mimi, Mitch, Elder Mocke, and I went downstairs to have the lesson. We had a prayer and the Spirit was already so strong. I thought, her being from China, that she wouldn't have a knowledge of God... WRONG-O (in the Grinch voice ha)
We taught from the Book of Mormon. I bore my testimony of Jesus Christ and explained to her why He is so important. Luckily for us Her spiritual door was open and The Holy Ghost confirmed to her in her heart the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and Jesus Christ. She'll be getting baptized on the 25th. Sadly, that is not my area, but just being a part of that Spirit and seeing the Holy Ghost work on her was a miracle to me. I hope to be able to attend her Baptism.

Here in Huntsville we have bapt. dates for two young men Jo and Reggie J (twins, they look nothing alike though haha it's like saying me and Olivia are twins :) We are working on a marriage date for BR and his fiance Liz (she is a member). We are teaching another unmarried couple... their names are Laura Rempkes and Scott H. Scott is a member and Laura used to be a member but was ex-communicated for certain reasons. I love Scott and Laura so much. I know the Lord called me here to help them, even if it is for a short time. We are getting Scott back to Church and meeting with the Bishop and Stake President. We are preparing Laura for baptism and hopefully her daughter Cheyenne as well, who is sixteen. The hardest part about all of this is, I'm getting transferred into Ogden into the Mount Louis Stake/Area. My new companion will be Elder Stuart. I'm excited to work with him. Being a missionary is sometimes a bittersweet thing. It takes 2 seconds to come to love a person you do not know and then you have to say goodbye to them. I told Scott last night before I left his house that I will keep in contact with him. I know he'll be upset when he finds out I'm going to be leaving Huntsville, but I just hope he'll act on the feelings and promptings of the Holy Ghost and not close the door on Christ.

I'm trying to get some stuff together to send home. I hate packing and unpacking. I'm going to have to get used to that. I'm going to be going into a biking and walking area, so I'll probably get surgery on my ingrown toe nail so I won't have to suffer from it any longer ha.

Well I love you all. Things I need from you guys? Just your prayers! And always make sure you are living your lives in a way that your doors are always opened so Christ can enter in! :)

I love you all so much and I know that as we increase our faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, all is well!

Love,

Elder Norton3

p.s. Mom, if grandma doesn't have an email address could you print these letters out and give them to her. Maybe she can use Dear Elder on you computer mom :) and can I have Jeff's Email address too :) Thanks! 

AUGUST 21

Hello Family!!
 
So I've been in my new area for about a week now and I love it! I'm riding a bike now, so you can imagine how a 6'4" goofy, white missionary looks on a little bike carrying his big black mission back pack! But I love it. I've been sore for the past week from riding that bike but it's awesome knowing that the more I'm sweating the more I'm helping others come unto Christ! Also I thought I should let you all know that my big butt doesn't stand a chance this transfer with me riding my bike! haha
 
So my new companion is from Memphis Tennessee! He is Elder Stewart and he's a great missionary. He's a District Leader right now and it is his first time being one. So him and I are both training on that. We are doing our best to help out our district to be the best missionaries possible and to always remember that our focus should be Jesus Christ. Elder Stewart and I are both pretty lucky to be able workout every morning. We have goals to lose weight and eat better and we can definitely feel the difference during our missionary work. I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm being physically active.
 
We should be having a baptism this weekend. Her name is Hayley and she is an awesome little girl. We are working with a lot of people right now. And I'm excited to see baptismal dates for them! I love this Gospel and I love being a servant of the Lord.
 
Sorry for the shortness of this letter, but I don't have a lot of time to write. I really hope you got my package. Please take care of the Books especially. I want those to be safe.
 
I love you all and I'll write more next week. I miss all of you and love all of you!
 
Elder Norton3
 
AUGUST 28
 
This is Elder BIG BUTT!! :)
 
Great week!! We biked like 80 miles. My companion are trying to make this the highest baptizing area of the mission. I guess in the past it used to be. When I got here there hadn't been much work done. We are picking it up and the hardest part is sustaining it once the work is going. But I love it. Hayley ended up being pushed back to Thursday next week but that's okay. Elder Stewart and I have been focusing on teaching simple Doctrines of Christ, Baptism, and the Holy Ghost. We are focusing on baptism  a lot. Not that we should be forgetting about the people, because we aren't. But we want others to be able to experience the blessings of keeping covenants!
 
So I work out every morning. I'm sore everyday! But I miss that feeling so I'm glad I'm working out a lot every morning. Elder Stewart and I are working hard to find people. We had a little bit of an incident with our ZL's we're doing our best to follow the spirit in how we should handle it. We'll see how it goes. We might have a meeting with President Hiers. It's nothing to worry about I promise. Just differences in opinions basically. We'll see. 
 
So Emily at Thatcher huh! Crazy! I'm excited for her! And for the rest of the them.(Jeff, Olivia, and Noah.) I'm excited for Chris! What a stud! Tell Anica that I approve! haha, But seriously, I'm so pumped for Chris and Anica! I'm looking forward to getting back and have neices and nephews if ya'll catch my drift. 
 
So since riding my bike I've had like 3 flats. Not cool. But I'm borrowing the bike from a member family! They are awesome! The mom's name is Jody L! She is amazing! she has 2 biological children and 7 others she has adopted! She is so nice to us and helps us out with anything!
 
Anyway, sorry I have to make it short. I'm attaching a picture of my comp and I and the family we had dinner with the other night. Random I know but oh well. ha 
 
I love you all:) 
 
Hurrah for Israel!
 
Elder Norton 3 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment