Thursday, July 5, 2012

6/20/2011

Hello family!

...Yeah we can definitely all use and learn lessons of patience. I've learned to have a lot of patience here. Many people come on with concerns (a nicer way of saying complaints ha) about this Church. Things that they have looked for on Anti-Mormon websites. There really isn't much we can do for those people. All they want is for us to get mad, or offended. They want to find faults. And as missionaries, our purpose isn't at all to be apologists. We are here to boldly and lovingly testify of Jesus Christ and preach repentance. I think that is one of the hardest things, It's not fun repenting. It can be painful. But it is so worth it. I think the reason why it is so hard is because repentance requires change and humility. Which is hard. I've definitely had problems with my pride getting in the way of my teaching. It doesn't work. And like those we teach, unless they humble themselves and realize there is someone greater, waiting, and wishing for us to come unto Him. I was reading in 2 Peter and let me just tell you really fast... I flippin love the New Testament and the Old Testament. They hold such a power in them! As well as the Book of Mormon. Anyways, in 2 peter there are several things that we must do and should want to do, so that we can be "partakers of the divine nature" and so that we can know Jesus Christ. Check this out:

 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in      the world through lust.
  5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
  6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
  7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
  8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
  10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
  11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

We must be faithful to Jesus Christ by doing the things He has done. To be diligent, virtuous, gaining knowledge, having temperance, also patience, and Godliness (reverence), brotherly and sisterly kindness, and charity! That's a lot of work :) isn't it?? BUT, we have Jesus Christ to strengthen us! I think that is what is hard for people to realize, is that in order to do most of these we have to be humble and work, but we don't have to do it alone. And I'll tell you right now, there is nothing better than at the end of the day being tired and knowing that I've worked hard. 

All of those things in 2 Peter that I just put up there... that can be hard to remember. The best way to remember, is to think about Jesus Christ and the love He had for everyone. And that's a goal of mine, is to become a true disciple of Jesus Christ. I'm no where near perfect and I have SO MUCH I need to do to be better, but I just want more love in the world. I hate seeing all of the arguing and hate that in the world. The most ironic thing is, is that most of the arguing and disagreeing happens when it's dealing with religion. We all believe in God and Jesus Christ, why can't we do better at being like them and just loving each other. Yeah we are all different, who cares! There's nothing wrong with being different. I find that I fall into this category of arguing many times. I don't want to tell anyone that their Church is wrong, I just want to help others to come to Christ. 

I just want to do better at that. And I want to be a better example for you guys especially. Gosh, you've all done so much for me... ha! What have I done! Made a few funny faces and cracked a few jokes! Hahah, I just want to do good in the world. I want people to be happy and to not worry so much about the little things in life that consume our attention and worry. If we focus on Jesus Christ, and being His disciples, I promise that life will be easier. There will still be trials, but we'll have His spirit with us as we climb those mountains.

Anyway. Enough rambling by me. I hope you all don't feel like I'm preaching to you. Those are just things that I have a testimony of now. And I love to share it. :) 

I no longer have a boot anymore, so I should be in Ogden soon. They haven't really given me any info on when, they just told me "soon" :) But ya know what, as long as I can be a missionary that's all I'm worried about. 

Oh yeah, we're teaching a few really awesome people! Michael from the UK, Ciara from Pennsylvani, Eliana from Connecticut! And a few others! All are doing so well and I love that they are becoming my friends! It's so sweet! They are all progressing towards baptism and they should all have dates here in the next week! BTW Michael is a stud at piano! We are probably going to hang out after the mission even if I have to move to the UK :)

Anyway, I love working. I love serving! and I love being the Lord's servant! There is a song that another Elder and I will be singing at devotional hopefully before I leave. It's called The Prodigal. Here's a link to it if you want to listen to it :) 
 

I love you all and will talk to you all next week! 

Elder Norton3

No comments:

Post a Comment