Monday, September 26, 2011

Elder Norton 2's final mission testimony



This song is referenced in the beginning of Elder Norton's letter. If you click on the description on the youtube page, you will see the lyrics, if you are interested in hearing or reading this song, which is performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.


Dear family!

I was listening to some hymns the other day as Elder D and I were driving to a baptismal interview. We usually listen to mo-tab in the car. As we were pulling up to the church the song called to serve came on. It fired us up as it usually does, but there were a few words that stuck out to me this time as I listened that has never stuck out to me before. Just a side note, at least in our mission, we take pride in being able to sing a "special" version of called to serve as often as possible, so I have sung it quite a few times as a missionary. Anyways, the words sang and the spirit hit me pretty strong. I teared up quite a bit and replayed that verse so I could hear the words again. The first line of the second verse of that song says, "Called to KNOW the richness of His blessings......" If there is anything that I have come to know or have felt on my mission it is the richness of my blessings from my Father in Heaven! I know part of the reason why I was called to serve a mission, was so that I could come to know how richly I have been blessed. I will try to share some of those blessings with you.

I will start off with the most important. I know that the sacred event recorded in the New Testament of our Savior Jesus Christ going into a quite garden to take upon him the sins of the world took place. In that garden He was thinking of you, and of me. He felt and bled from every pore for every pain, sickness, temptation and heartache we have ever made. I have had personal experiences where the spirit witnessed to me that this event took place. This was the greatest act of love ever given to man. I have come to know for myself that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. This had to take place so we could unlock the full power of the Atonement. We can feel the purifying power of that act every week by partaking of the sacrament. This experience each week has brought great comfort and solace to my heart. The only way you or I can receive lasting happiness, now and in eternity, is by living completely the Gospel of Jesus Christ, so that the Atonement can have full effect in our lives. He also was nailed to the cross to again complete the act of love, to take upon himself our sins. The greatest part about it is, that he rose again the third day and lives! I know He lives. I know that you can know that He lives by humbly bowing before the Lord on your knees and asking if he is there. I have evidence that this works through an experience that I had. We were teaching a soldier who did not believe that he could be forgiven. He has been in war, and has killed people. Men, women, children, that's what they're commanded to do. He was so overwhelmed with guilt, and just felt he could not be forgiven for his experiences. One of the local bishops was teaching with us. He talked a lot about repentance. We talked about the atonement. It was a very spiritual lesson. The most amazing part though was at the end. The bishop challenged him. He promised him the Lord would forgive him. He said, "Do you have the faith to get on your knees, and ask the Lord to forgive you?" It was silent in the room for a couple minutes. The soldier dropped to his knees. We joined him. As he started to pray, I was overwhelmed by the spirit. Again the feelings I truly felt cannot be explained. I can honestly say that I felt Christ's presence in that room. As the soldier pled for forgiveness and closed his prayer, he became silent. At that point all of us were in tears. The Lord forgave him and he knew it. He began the lessons with doubts and excuses of why things couldn't happen and couldn't be done, but once he finished his prayer, his countenance had changed. He began saying I can do this and I want this and it will happen. I witnessed the power of the atonement right before my eyes. You could see that the burden had been lifted. Just another witness from the Lord to me that this is the Savior's work. He loves and cares about each and every one of us. Individually! He knows us by name. Never be afraid to get on your knees and ask. He will answer. I KNOW he will! That experience changed my life! That is my testimony that Jesus Christ truly did what is recorded in the scriptures that He did and that the power from that act can heal ALL things in our lives and make ALL things right!

The next most important thing that has happened to me over the last two years is that I have been able to forget myself. My favorite church song is "I am trying to be like Jesus!" I love that song so much. As I have tried to become like Jesus these last two years, I have lost focus on myself and started to desire and care for the welfare of others. Because of that desire, the Lord has blessed me with numerous opportunities to stand in white with his children, and bring them to the waters of baptism. This happened two more times on Saturday. Jonathon and Elizabeth are so special to me! This week they have been blasted with trial after trial. I won't even begin to mention those trials. I know that for me, I would have doubted after the very first trial. At the end of the week I think I would have never come back. Even after the trials, they chose to put their faith in the Lord and be married and baptized. It was such a humbling and special experience. When we confirmed them Sunday the spirit was so strong. The members really did a great job of supporting them as well. I will never forget this last weekend. I love Jonathon and Elizabeth so much. It will be hard to say goodbye to them for now, but I know that we will be able to see each other again. I would say they have completed my mission, because they have, but my mission is not yet over. Also, a couple of weeks ago I was able to spend the afternoon in the temple, seeing a few other of Heavenly Father's children take another step towards him. To see those families be sealed together in the temple is more then I could have ever asked for. I would knock on ten thousand more doors to find another couple like that. It was so great!

Mom remembers the man telling me that this would be the best two years for my life. It truly has. I feel like I am going home with a purpose now. I pray that I can keep that purpose in mind the rest of my life. Another blessing I have come to know is that families can be together forever. There was a family who lost one of their sons in an area that I served in about a year ago. It was a great loss for that family. They were happy though. They knew where there son was. We have such great knowlegde, and can have that confident and peaceful reassurance that we can be together forever. We learn those things through the Spirit. I love feeling the spirit. I think sometimes we forget that we can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost with us at all times. I have made poor desicions before and felt His presence leave. It is awful. That is how I know the Gift of the Holy Ghost is real. It is a night and day difference when you do something to dismiss the Spirit from you. As missionaries we strive to do everything we can to keep the Spirit with us. I hope I can remain worthy to have His presence when I go home. It is a great feeling and blessing to have.

My mission will not end once my nametag comes off. Drew mentioned that in his final email a few months ago. The only thing we lose is the tag. It should still be a goal to share the gospel with everyone. To live it exactly so my brothers and sisters can enjoy the blessings that come from it more fully. One last line in a song that stuck out to me that came from "mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." haha I don't know the name of the song, but at the end it talks about Christ and says "as He did to make men holy, let us live to make men free" I would like to end with that line. Christ teaching the Nephites said, "Nevertheless, ye shall not cast him out of your synagogues, or your places of worship, for unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall heal them; and ye shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them." As we consistently live the Gospel of Jesus Christ, live and follow the commandments, and do the things that our Savior has taught us, we will "be the means of bringing salvation" to our brothers and sisters. We have an obligation to the Lord to share what we know is true. I know that by simply living what we know, we will be able to bring those we love into the gospel. By living the gospel we can make "men free." No greater joy comes from sharing the gospel. When somone accepts and chooses to then live it themselves, the Lord will reward you with treasures of joy. I have felt that joy, and know that it could not have come if I would have chosen to do something else besides serve him. I love the people of Kentucky, but know that my time has come. It would be selfish of me to stay longer. There are people who need me in Arizona now. The Lord has blessed me with lessons and learning opportunities so that I would be prepared to live life. I know with the Lord's help that I can apply the things that I have learned here. I am excited to see you all this week. It is going to be great! I can't express in words the joy that I have from knowing that I served the Lord. I love you all and thank every one of you for your prayers and support. I have felt the power of each one. I would like to share all of my experiences with each of you, but know that the greatest lessons learned come from personal expereince. If we will pay close attention to the promptings of the spirit, each one of us can have sacred expereinces that will mold and shape our lives for good. Until we meet again, I give a prayer of thanks to each of you, and express my love to you. Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Norton#2

No comments:

Post a Comment