Wednesday, September 1, 2010

EN2--Aug 16, 23, 30

Aug 16

Elder Norton did not write. From one sentence in the next letter, we think he might have had a bad week but he refused to address it.

Aug 23

Hello family!!! Mother I am so sorry I didn't write. Not gonna talk about last monday but I felt like if I wrote you would have thought something was wrong. Obviously not writing did the same thing but oh well. I'm here now! So, what's new....... It feels like it's been forever since we've talked, so I have a lot of stuff to talk about. We've been tracting for the past..... 3 weeks all day every day! It's been such a blast! We've met some really awesome people. We've found some families and a lot of really sincere and prepared people. We're stoked for the work here. We have a missionary fireside set up with our WML for this next sunday. We set it up on a power point and all 3 of us are just going to talk and get people pumped up to do missionary work. Pray that it will go well!

We haven't been able to get anyone to attend church yet, but we're working on it. We have 5-10 solid people already who want to come, things just haven't worked out yet. We're doing a lot of praying and fasting though. This area is going to flourish! I found out at Zone Conference from the assistants that I was put here to help this area become a high baptizing area. It feels good to know that people have confidence in you. But I know when much is given much is required so we definitely have work to do. So yeah I attended church of another faith last week, not going to mention names, but it was so fake. Yeah they had some good music it was entertaining, but we go to church to feel the spirit and remember the sacrifice of our Savior, that didn't really happen. When I left I had such a strong desire to share the gospel with EVERYONE! I have that desire anyway, but it just increased it. I don't know how I would be able to make it in life if that was all I had to look forward to. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm just trying to bash down anyone, but I really felt no comfort or joy from anything that was said that night. There were even a couple of young men who were "saved" that night and it wasn't even really their choice. They were almost forced into it. I'm so glad that the message we share is up to those we teach to decide whether or not they're going to accept it. It shows that we're really not out here to increase church numbers, but to literally open the doors of the Celestial Kingdom to our brothers and sisters by inviting them to search, ponder and pray for themselves.

The gospel is awesome. So I heard a quote in Zone Conference by one of the Doctors in the mission. He spoke to us for a few minutes about our health and safety. Anyway, he talked about how we're out here to suffer, not to have it easy. We're here to suffer for our Savior. Then he stated this quote, I think Dad would know who it's by. "The kingdom of God, or nothing!" That is my new favorite quote and I'm going to live by it forever. It's so true! We were tracting yesterday and were talking to this "devout Christian." We were talking about how as followers and disciples of Christ we show our faith by living and keeping the commandments. He said that's right it's something we have to live. Then he thought about what he said for a second and said, well we don't have to live it but we should. That just confirms what Willy (Tim and Willy) said. "Let's just change the ten commandments to the ten suggestions...." Seriously. People truly believe that the commandments are more of guidelines to live by but not something we really have to do. It makes me sick. It almost takes away the significance of Christ coming down and setting the perfect example for us. Why would he even come down and set an example for us if we didn't have to live by it or follow the things he taught. Why didn't he just go straight to the suffering in the garden and then on the cross?

I've learned that there are people who you can't talk to because they are so deeply rooted "in every wind of doctrine" that their ears are just closed to anything and everything you say, but it truly has strengthened my testimony in the truthfulness of the gospel. The things that I hold dear and go out and share with other people each and every day have been made manifest to me of their truthfulness by the power of the Holy Ghost. That is a feeling and an answer that you can't deny because God knows it, and those who receive that witness know it. An answer that when comes, you feel so wonderful and peacful that you want to share that with others. So my familia, I want to encourage and challenge you to suffer for Christ's sake each and every day. Bear your testimony when opportunity allows. Open your mouths so the Lord can fill them with the words you need to speak. It's the kingdom of God or nothing! To be honest, I want to live with you all in the Kingdom of God and I think giving all that we have here on earth is worth it.

We had a sweet lesson in sunday school yesterday about Job. In the verse where he states, I was born into this earth from my mothers womb naked, and I'll leave this earth naked, is an awesome statement to make. We're not taking anything but our knowledge and souls with us when we leave so who needs the worldly crap. Don't worry about getting me anything when I'm home mother. I just want a big hug :) Well I'll stop preaching. Sorry.

So joseph is a college boy now! That's crazy to think about. I have a friend out here on the mish who will be back at ea in less then 2 months. He's going to say hi to dad and joseph for me. Elder Pearce! So, we're learning and implementing a lot of new stuff into the mission and so all of the leaders in the mission (DL's, ZL's and trainers) will be going down to Louisville for 4 days to be trained on all this new stuff and then we'll take it back to our areas and train the other missionaries. That starts next tuesday on August 31st! My birthday! I'll be in Louisville with the mission president and a lot of my mission friends on my b-day, I'm pretty excited! Elder Ralston will be there too! Lucky day huh. Crazy to think that my teenage years are coming to a close. It really makes you think. Or at least me.

I've had a lot of humbling experiences here in G-ville already. I love this work so much though. Elder Hart and I are best friends. We get along so well. I don't think I'm ever going to serve with someone I don't get along with. Although, Elder Hart is a state champ wrestler. He wrestled at a D-1 school too so sometimes I have to watch what I say around him. He doesn't like to be called a little girl, that's all I'm going to say. He almost popped my rib cage once lol He put me in the anaconda squeeze and made me call him daddy. We both agree that we're both inferior to each other at our favorite sports. He can mess with me though because basketball has nothing to do with putting people in choke holds. Oh well. Life is going great. I couldn't be happier. I've probably said that a million times since I've been out. Some of my really great mission friends are going home this transfer and next. I can't believe I've been out a year. My time is short here. I've got to get to work! Thanks for all the love and support. Thatcher nortons sent me a letter. I love the bookmark! Not as much as I love them though! If I remember something interesting to tell you that I probably forgot I will in another email. The Lord is watching out for us down here in Kentucky. I love it here. I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Hurrah for Israel.

Elder Norton #2

Aug 30,

Well, life is good! I'm a day away from turning the big 2-0 and can hardly believe I'm that "old." Seems like the teenage years just blew away. I realize that it's probably all downhill from here :)

Elder Hart gave a talk in sacrament meeting yesterday and his topic was about why he came out on his mission. He had some stories and some reasons but the best part was about this little poem he read. I'm sure you all have heard it before but it's called the touch of the masters hand. If you haven't look it up because I'm a bum and don't want to explain it but the moral of the story is that we're instruments in the Lord's hands. Elder Hart said he felt like he wasn't good enough, or didn't know enough to come out, but that poem came to his mind while he was pondering one night and he realized that with the Lord he would be good enough. I think sometimes we're too judgmental of ourselves. I've been that way my whole life and have a lot of regrets for it. There's a lot of things that I've been trying to put behind me since I've been out here. With my bday nearing, and Elder Hart's talk, I've done a lot of looking at myself in the mirror (don't think of it in a weird way, like a staring at my own beauty way that joseph would accuse me of haha) When I look at myself, I ask myself what have I accomplished? Who do I see myself as? Have a done any good the first 20 years of my life? It's easy with just the little imperfections of our past, to see nothing.

One thing I've really tried to do as a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, is try to see those we teach and talk to everyday, as He sees them. Sometimes it's hard when they yell and slam the door in your face, but I think in a like manner we need to take a look inside and see what Heavenly Father sees in us. So, I'm trying to be who He wants me to be and who He knows I can be and give my burdens to Him. We as people try too hard to do things on our own. Well, at least I do. We're defeating His purpose if we do. I'm so grateful for the Savior and I'm really trying to learn and feel the atonement and apply it in my life. I'm nothing to the world, but I'm everything to the Lord, and that's all that matters to me.

The worth of souls is great to the Lord and that's why we're here, to make it back. How can we do that if we're worrying about what we're not or what we don't have. When we start looking at the things we do have and the blessing we do enjoy, everything around us changes. The greatest Birthday present you could give me is to open your mouths and share the gospel with someone. Don't wait for them to ask questions. Ask them. Tell them. Invite them. Will you come to church with me? There's too much happiness and joy in the gospel for us to not share it with others. It is hard to share it sometimes because others don't want to listen, but we keep sharing it until those who are prepared are found and accept it.

Our fireside went really well. We helped the members see that there will be people who won't listen or accept your invitations, but that doesn't mean give up. Rebecca Singleton is a strong witness to me that people are prepared! They're just waiting for us to knock on their doors, to open our mouths and share this familiar message they accepted so long ago. We're just here to remind them to come back to the fold. I love the gospel. Because of it I have an eternal family! One that loves me regardless of my imperfections, because they look past those things and see the potential. Our Savior does that for each and every one of us but on a much larger scale. He proved it with His life! We can prove our love for Him by sharing the things we know to be true with others. I'm working on becoming truly converted to this gospel. I have a lot of faults, but I'm no longer looking at those. The Lord doesn't so why should we. May we strive to be the best we can by seeing the potential within ourselves, and then by helping others see that also. I love my family with all my heart. It saddens me to think that my older brother will be home so soon. Time is short. I have work to do. I will talk to you all soon. I leave you my testimony that we are His children, and do so in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Norton#2

No comments:

Post a Comment